Wednesday, October 21, 2015

One-Handed Gadgets

Living with one hand definitely has its challenges.  For example, try holding a newspaper open with one hand.  Nevermind… no need to try… it is impossible.  Reading the front page is okay but I really dread seeing “continued on next page.”  Many times, I look at the end of the article to see if it is continued on another page.  If it is, I may not even start to read the article.  Placing the newspaper on a table is an option but turning a page is still an ordeal.  One hand is needed to turn the page but another is inevitably needed to make sure the crease stays smooth.  It never does, so this means you must drop the page, straighten the crease and try again.  One try is almost never enough.  In addition, there are multiple pages, and the dilemma is the same.  Suffice to say that reading a newspaper is quite annoying.

While not having found a solution for my newspaper impasse, below are pictures of some useful and handy gadgets for the one-handed user. 
        


  
These 2 pictures above represent extensions taped to a razor and a deodorant bottle.  Note that the handle of an old toothbrush is used for the razor.



I use this bottle washer in the shower.  It is handy for reaching my back and under my arm.  I find these at Target. 



This 2-quart jar with a spigot negates the need for lifting and pouring from heavy containers.



Another personal favorite is this small glass cup for teaspoon and tablespoon measurements.  It's hard to hold measuring spoons while pouring something into them.  I bought it at Walmart.





This is the same idea as above but it also measures ounces.   Found at Walmart.


Dental floss sticks are awesome and can be found almost anywhere, Walmart, Target, drug stores.




Handy shredder though there are various options on this theme, including electric shredders and choppers.  I have seen them at Walmart, Target, and kitchen stores.



This egg-white separator is an all-time favorite.  It securely fits onto a measuring cup.  Upon cracking the egg, the egg white falls into the cup but the yolk stays in the separator.  I got this as a Tupperware item. 




This is non-stick padding.  I use it under anything I don’t want to slip like bowls when I am stirring.  It can be found all over in lots of colors – Walmart, Target, hardware stores, etc.


There are lots of other gadgets but these are the ones I use every day.  I would love to hear from others who have found clever or useful gadgets.  Someone must have an idea for the newspaper problem.  I know the internet, on-line, etc., but it is just the principle of the thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment